Straight Knitting Machine, U. S. Patent 55,420, June 5, 1866, Rev. M.T. Lamb, Valparaiso, Indiana.
This invention makes improvements to the Lamb Knitting Machine invented by the inventor's brother, Isaac W. Lamb. The earlier invention was widely used and won many National and International awards. It was manufactured in Chicopee Falls, Mass., and a number of European countries.
The 28" x 13" x 6" long model is black painted metal with a wood handle. The metal is ornately painted with red decorations and two hand painted crests showing a lion on one side and a lamb on the other (representing the Lamb Knitting Machine.) The number "85" on one of the two brass plates attached to the model appears to indicate this machine was the 85th of 100 machines contracted to be built by Sessions, Arey & Co. of Springfield, Mass.